Friday, April 30, 2010

Palimpsestic


I’ll have to admit, this current impetus has come from two sources: I saw Julie and Julia, and from the pragmatic and wise mahapurush who incited me to watch it (“it’s about you”). So this then turns out to be an intertextual meandering. There is no “original” text, everything has been said or done before, and I’m choosing a new combination from the paradigmatic system, putting “new” cultural transformations together. Rather, it’s all a palimpsest. Oh, I love the word.

[There I’ve done it again. Please note: I will not solicit any comments or queries on the validity of my theoretical assumptions or statements. This is not a paper.]

This entry is supposed to be about the film.
I liked it, though I had to watch it in two parts (its over 2 hrs long).  I haven’t seen a feel good, all’s well film in ages. And the best part was that this wasn’t pretentiously so. Meryl Streep was of course brilliant. But I just adore Stanley Tucci – I’ve seen him play only supporting parts in such films and he’s oh so good. The men in the film are saints and Amy’s character a total wreck. What I wouldn’t do for such support (hint hint)! But as Julie realizes it can be so annoying to be with someone who is so perfect and understanding and accommodating, with no hang ups of his own, while she is confused, conflicted and obsessed about her private self.

This doesn’t make sense, or it makes too much sense. I don’t care. I’m logging off. It’s late.


No comments: